The CDC and international health authorities are conducting tests at Dominican Republic resorts wher

The CDC and international health authorities are conducting tests at Dominican Republic resorts wher


It seems that there could be something out of the ordinary going on at resorts in the Dominican Republic
And now experts are on the case. The CDC, the World Health Organization, and the FBI are conducting tests are the Bahía Príncipe Resort in the Dominican Republic, according to Fox News
Carlos Suero, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Public Health, told CNN that environmental health and epidemiology specialists who were investigating the hotels should have results as soon as Friday or Monday
This year, there have been seven suspicious cases of tourists getting sick, assaulted, and dying in the Dominican Republic In April, 67-year-old Robert Bell Wallace, 67, of California, died after having a drink from the minibar in his hotel room at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino resort in Punta Cana
His cause of death has not been released. Then, in May, three people died at a pair of hotels owned by the same company in a span of 5 days
Miranda Schaupp-Werner collapsed after drinking a beverage from the minibar in her hotel room
Schaupp-Werner, from Allentown, Pennsylvania, died in her room at Bahía Príncipe hotel at the Playa Nueva Romana resort in La Romana on May 25 a family member told Fox News
Days later, on May 30, Edward Nathaniel Holmes and Cynthia Day, an engaged couple from Maryland, were found dead in their hotel room by a resort employee
Dominican Republic police told CNN that Holmes and Day died of respiratory failure
Awilda Montes, a 43-year-old woman from Queens, New York, says that she began to vomit blood and sustained “chemical burns” after drinking what she believed was soda from her hotel room’s minibar at the Bahía Príncipe hotel — the same place where Werner would later die
She told the New York Daily News that she was inspired to speak out about her experience after hearing about the recent deaths in the news
In a statement previously provided to INSIDER, a spokesperson for the Bahía Príncipe said that “to date, there are no indications of any correlation between these two unfortunate events
” “In both circumstances, established security protocols were followed, and we have maintained open communications with the authorities to provide information and clarification for each case,” the statement continued
The resort chain has 14 hotels in the Dominican Republic alone, and more in Mexico and Spain
Tourism Minister Francisco Garcia echoed that sentiment on Thursday, calling the illnesses and deaths “isolated incidents
” Last year, 13 Americans died in the Dominican Republic, according to the US State Department
Of that number, four of them were the results of drownings, four were auto accidents, two were homicides, one was by suicide, and one was an undisclosed accident

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *